I also have a Facebook page now if you'd like to follow it to get the latest updates on which convention I'll be at and to see my latest photos
I was at A-kon recently as well, and it was really fun! My convention photos are in this Flickr album. You'll notice a lot of One Piece photos because I debuted my Tashigi (One Piece) cosplay there and went to the meet-ups I had a photoshoot done in that cosplay, so I'll post photos once I get them back. In the mean time, my cosplay blog has full details on how I made it!
Now for upcoming plans...
AnimeFest - I will not be at AnimeFest this year, which is sad because I really like that one. (On the bright side, I'm missing it because I'll be in Japan, which I'm excited to be visiting again.)
San Japan - I should be going to San Japan and doing photoshoots as usual. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll put you on a list to contact when I have my schedule figured out.
Ikkicon - I will probably be at Ikkicon, but it's too early to tell. I will have a better idea a month or two before.
And that's it from me! I'm not very good at being active on DA, but I update my Flickr and Instagram more when it comes to photography and cosplay stuff
How long have you been on DeviantArt?
6 years apparently! I didn't realize it's been that long. I think I didn't use this account that much (or at all) when I first signed up.
What does your username mean?
I use "puyoda" on most social media I'm on. When I made the name, I was playing the game, Puyo Puyo DA, at the time, so it's based off of that.
Describe yourself in three words.
Photography loving programmer
Are you left or right handed?
What is your favourite type of art to create?
Photographs. I used to draw and paint a lot, but now I mainly focus on photography.
If you could instantly master a different art style, what would it be?
Digital art. I wish I knew how to use my tablet better
What type of art do you tend to favourite the most?
Cosplay or photography.
Who is your all-time favourite deviant artist?
Aahhh, this is hard. I don't know if I can name an "all-time" favorite. I currently love looking at vaxzone's cosplay photography, and Ryoko-demon is an amazing cosplayer.
If you could meet anyone on DeviantArt in person, who would it be?
There's so many cosplayers I would like to meet and photograph XD
How has a fellow deviant impacted your life?
I've been inspired by many works I've seen! It's helped me improve and evolve my style as a photographer.
What are your preferred tools to create art?
When it comes to photography, my Canon 6D. My current favorite lens on it are the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and the Canon 24-70mm f/4 L.
What is the most inspirational place for you to create art?
My sewing room for when I'm working on cosplays. It's my favorite room in the house because it's one that I can truly call MINE. For photography, any place with beautiful scenery.
What is your favourite DeviantArt memory?
My first time advertising photoshoot spots at an Anime con. I met new people through it who I still photograph, and I actually filled all my spots!
But! I currently plan on going to the following:
(San Antonio, Jul 31-Aug 2)
(Dallas, Sept 4-7)
(Austin, Jan 1-3)
I plan on doing photoshoots at each one. As usual, if you contact me early, I'll put you on a list, and then get back to you once I have my schedule figured out
I'm also open to doing photoshoots in Austin outside of conventions. You just need to contact me, and we'll work it out from there.
In the mean time, I have a bunch of photos from London and Japan that I haven't posted here yet, so I guess I should work on that!
Oh, and this is how I book spots for people who contact me early. This is actually how I’ve always done it, but I’ve never written it down so I think it caused some confusion.
1. If someone expresses interest in a photoshoot spot before I have a schedule up, I put their name down on a list.
2. Once I have the schedule ready, I go down the list one by one. I message the very first person who contacted me and ask them which spot they’d like.
3. Then I continue down the list after I get a response. (So the first person who asked gets first pick, the second gets second pick, and so on.)
4. After I’ve contacted everyone on the list, I make the schedule public if there’s any remaining spots. (Sometimes there are no spots left though.)
If you already told me you’re interested in a spot, and I’ve also replied to you, then no worries! I will definitely be messaging you back! You don’t have to worry about possibly missing a spot because you weren’t checking deviantart or tumblr that day. Hopefully this makes sense and is fair to everyone
For samples of my work, here are photos I took at last year’s Ikkicon!
My friend and I cosplayed as Zia and Zulf from Bastion part of Friday and all of Saturday. We did a photoshoot with aragashi, and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos from it
Some brief, overall thoughts on A-kon this year:
* The new location is beautiful and lighting was typically good indoors = good for photos.
* However, most things were on the first floor and the hotel is quite long. I felt like it took a longer time to get places because of how far you have to walk.
* I didn't attend many panels/events, but the ones I did go to started on time, so that's always good.
* Registration was frustrating. I normally go to A-kon without pre-registering and am usually able to get my badge in under an hour. This time it took 4 hours.
* Plus, artist alley, dealer's room, and registration in the same place with just one hallway to reach them? Yeahhhh, that probably wasn't the best idea.
Overall, I had fun. I think they have some kinks to work out, but that pretty much happens when you change locations I suppose.
Now for future plans!
San Japan: I plan on doing photoshoots, most likely on Saturday. A couple people have already messaged me about it, so feel free to contact me if you're interested as well I just won't know my schedule until the date gets closer.
AnimeFest: I plan on cosplaying to this one. My friends want to do a Street Fighter group, so I'm looking into re-doing my Sakura costume now!
We'll be wearing those on Saturday and maybe for a little bit on Friday. I might also bring another cosplay like Knives Chau or Sakura (Street Fighter), but I haven't really decided yet.
I will be bringing my DSLR and a couple lens, but no lighting equipment, so I'm not scheduling any full photoshoots this time. (The next con I'm scheduling photoshoots for is San Japan.) I still plan on taking lots of photos, and mini photoshoots are a possibility!
Hope to see some of you guys there!
If you see yourself, please let me know, and I can add your name to the photo description
Photoshoot previews will be posted here as I finish them: www.flickr.com/photos/puyoda/s…
(I will be adding them here on my deviantart as well.)
Thanks to all who did a photoshoot with me! I thought they went well, and you guys are awesome for being ready for them. No cancellations = a great day for me XD I can't wait to start posting more of those photos.
I work on the photos in the order that I took them, so an earlier photoshoot will get their photos sooner. I plan on having previews of the first set posted this weekend.
The next con that I plan on doing photoshoots at is San Japan in August. I do plan on going to A-kon and Animefest, though I hope to actually finish my costumes by then and be able to cosplay I um... guess I should be working on those more...
Anyway, it was great seeing everyone at Matsuri! Hope to see some of you at the next cons!
Date: Saturday, March 30
Edit: All slots filled faster than I expected! If you're still interested, we can probably meet up for a few quick shots instead of a full photoshoot. Message me to work something out
1. Photoshoots are free and typically last 30-45 min. They are open to small groups of 1-5 people per shoot.
2. New to photoshoots? No worries! I do my research and come prepared with photo and pose ideas. I do recommend coming with a few ideas yourself as well.
3. I will ask that we exchange cell phone numbers, which I will only use on the day of so that we can find each other. I will text the meeting location 5-10 min before your shoot. Please be ready, so that we can start on time!
How to sign up?
Simply message me here on deviantart or you can email me (form and email are on this page: catherine-chu.com/contact/)
Just let me know how many people, who you are cosplaying (series, character, and version if applicable), and which time you'd like.
Looking forward to working with you guys!
I recently signed up for Instagram, though, to log my cosplay progress: instagram.com/puyoda
I also post my progress on my tumblr: puyoda.tumblr.com/
What this means...
PAX East: I won't be cosplaying or doing photoshoots. (I'm not even bringing my DSLR.) I'll just be enjoying all the games ^_^
Anime Matsuri: I'm switching to doing more photoshoots! I plan on opening 3-4 photoshoot slots on Saturday. These will all be free shoots.
If you're interested, then stay tuned! I will try to have a post about Anime Matsuri up later this week with available times.
March: PAX East (Boston)
- Sat: cosplaying as Zia from Bastion
March: Anime Matsuri (Houston)
- Fri: possibly driving up earlier to do photoshoots
- Sat: Bastion cosplay group as Zia and Zulf
June: A-kon (Dallas)
- possible Street Fighter (Sakura, Juri, Ryu) and Spirited Away (Haku, Chihiro, No Face) cosplay groups
- will not be taking photoshoots
August: San Japan (San Antonio)
- Fri or Sat: will be doing photoshoots
September: AnimeFest (Dallas)
- same as A-kon
December: Ikkicon (Austin)
- Fri and/or Sat: will be doing photoshoots